Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Math Homework v. Eating Broccoli

Which would you choose?

Recently I watched a video from Conceptua Math about their software. I was struck by the statistics they share and the concept they put forth. Isn't it time we consider changing the way we teach. Except for projected images many things I see in the classrooms where I work are the kinds of things that occured when I was the student! When I was a student I couldn't bring my phone in my pocket to school and there was no such thing as a backpack to carry your books - we carried book bags and rushed home to use our rotary dialed phones!



I know this is a loaded question and I realize that change comes slowly - and some things have changed. Students are collaborating online, teachers share microblogs with students, we tell digital stories and there isn't an 8th grader who hasn't tested their skill as a video producer - but teachers are still at the front of the room teaching. How can we change this? How can we create a blended, inquiry-based classroom setting? What do you think that classroom would look like? In my mind the lessons are thematic, concepts are presented and students research them using the teacher as a mentor and guide for their explorations. These students present final products that teach other students in their classroom and globally about their theme. What kind of themes can you imagine? What would your classroom look like?